Friday, August 04, 2006

The Capitol

Yesterday, I had a chance to take the boys for an outing. It was just us guys, since Kelly was at a doctor's appointment. I will admit that this kind of outing doesn't happen enough. It is something I must strive to do more. So, for that reason I wanted to make the most of it. Gabriel wanted to go to the "Red and Blue" place to eat. Having missed this conversation he must have had with his mother, I was at a loss. Kelly was able to figure out his logic and we deduced that he was referring to KFC. So, after some good chicken and yummy biscuits, the men were off for an outing.

I decided to take the boys to the Capitol. I actually wasn't sure if they would enjoy it or not. I was taking a gamble. To my surprise and joy, Gabe was REALLY excited about going to the "big building" (as described driving up Appalachee Pkwy). So, excited, in fact that I thought he was going to drive me insane when I couldn't find a parking space right away. "Daddy, you missed the big building! We have to go back! You can park there. How about there? Can you park there, daddy!?"

I first took them both to the 22nd floor observation deck of the new Capitol. As soon as the elevator doors opened and they could see for miles in every direction, they went crazy! They loved it! They both climbed up on the ledge beside the windows and leaned on the glass to look down on the city below. "Daddy, look at the little cars!" "Hey, I see a yellow car!" "Whoa! Daddy, is that your work way over there?" It was a lot of fun.

We then went into the old Capitol and checked out the Governor's office and some of the cool artifacts they have in each room. It was an opportunity to teach the boys some cool history. Again, they really seemed to enjoy it and Gabriel wanted to go into every rooom. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay long. Mommy's appointment was over and we had to go meet her. I told Gabe "we shall return." Apparently, he begged his mom to do just that. "Mommy, we didn't see everything. Can we go back now?" YES! My boys like history!!

On a closing note, I have to share my favorite moment. It was when we first arrived on the 22nd floor of the new building. I wanted them to have fun on our little outing and hoped they would enjoy the view and the history as much as I do. After playing and looking out every pane of glass, Gabriel spoke to me in the most childlike and sincere tone. "Wow...this is cool!...Daddy, thank you for bringing me here." Going back to work has never been harder.

No comments: