Thursday, August 03, 2006

You're in My Space

My Space. Hmm.....To join My Space, is to lose my space. Here are my thoughts on this new and rapidly world dominating new social site. I'm just not a fan. Honestly, it isn't that I don't like it. Well, yes...yes it is. I don't really like it. Maybe it is just the way I am. I have never been one to want to go to a high school reunion or chat online with random people. I'm much more of a face to face socializer. And since My Space is a 24 hour 7 day a week high school reunion and online chat room with random people....naah...not for me.

Something else I struggle with is a little more philosophical. Friends come in and out of your life as you grow older. Life moves forward and changes. You change. This is really necessary, in my mind. What My Space does, is to provide a way for which everyone who has ever known you can stay in your life. It means people that in the past would have played their role in your life and moved on....now find you again and try to pick it up where you left off. Is that healthy? Can you keep up with friends...past, present and future and still move forward in life? Okay...so that's deep, but I have considered it.

Then there is the whole "I see you and you can't see me" aspect of it. I heard a radio discussion about the success of My Space, recently. It struck me when one of the individuals said that it's success is due to the fact that it is voyeurism. Before you get defensive, I'm not calling you a pervert. My Space simply provides a chance for you to check out what's going on in someone else's world, view pictures of them, see discussions between them and their friends all without interaction on your part. Having always been the "Close the blinds!" kinda guy...I don't like the idea of posting my pictures on the website so someone else can go..."I found Jonathan Conrad's My Space site....he looks so ______." Whatever the blank is there....I would rather see you face to face than have you click into my life, judge it and move on.

Kelly recently signed up on My Space. Which is why I am thinking about it. She enjoys it a little more than me. She has had several high school friends check in, posted pictures of us on the site and searched out many of her friends. She's had a lot of fun with it. She might win me over eventually. However, currently I am still unsure. But for now....you too can be invade My Space.

3 comments:

Sir Vance-a-lot said...

I found Jonathan Conrad's My Space site....he looks so goofy.

Danielle said...

Ironically right before I came to your site I was just on my space. I don't get it. It seems like a waste of time to me. Alot of people just post some really weird things. Is this what people do during the day while they should be working? Why do we have a need to be in constant communication with others. I think I am somewhat guilty of this.

Christopher Bennage said...

Dude, have Kelly sign up as friend on my site. http://www.myspace.com/bennage. About all that other stuff you wrote, um, okay.
:)