Friday, August 25, 2006

The Memory to Remember

Well, for the first time, I have experienced my son being better at something than me. For those who don't know, we are not speaking of a teenager here. He's not even four! I didn't achieve true victory over my father in a game until I was almost driving. Though the only game we really played in competition was Chess. Anyway, last night our family had a wonderful evening. Our small group was cancelled which gave us an opportunity to seize the night and declare it "family night." We took a trip to Target, saw Vance hanging out in the parking lot waiting on Michelle to jump his car off; All was normal.

When we arrived home, Gabriel wanted to play the game Memory. So, I put some blankets on the floor and our family crowded around the game and settled in to play. Little did I realize, I was being hustled by this four year old Memory Shark. He tied me the first game! The next game I won by one. Looking back, this would have been the opportune time for Gabe to encourage me to start playing for money. I can hear it now. "Man, Dad! You're good at this. Too bad we aren't playing for money."

After a while, Kelly took Noah outside and Gabe wanted to play a few more games. Mana a Mana. Double or nothin', pride is the bet. Again, we tied. Then, alas...the final game was a two pair victory for Gabriel. The Archangel of Memory. He defeated me. No help. No taking it easy on him by his old man. He just beat me.....and defeat has never been sweeter.

No comments: