Saturday, October 04, 2008

Warning...Warning...

So just want to inform you to NOT, I repeat NOT go the Southeastern Urology! As most of you know, I had a bladder sling and hysterectomy in July. While in the hospital, I was never seen by the urologist (Dr. Tran). I am only informed by my OB/GYN that he actually did perform the procedure. I had issues from him not visiting me in the hospital such as the nurses trying to send me home for the weekend with a cathetor and Jonathan & I calling the on-call urologist to get it removed. Next, he failed to send me home with antibiotics so of course two weeks post partum...I end up with the WORST EVER urinary tract infection. During those two weeks however I had called the office several times asking if I should have been given the antibiotics and the staff would never return my call. I called three times! Finally leave a message one night for the on-call urologist and he tells me to come in first thing in the morning that sounds like I do have an infection. UGH! I go to the office for the infection (with all three boys & have to WAIT forever) and get sent home finally with medicine and told to come back in a month. So...a month goes by and I am still having a little burning and getting up several times at night to go to the bathroom. I ask about that and am told that I still have white cells in my urine which could explain that but that Dr. Tran would like to run a culture and make sure. I am told that if I don't get a call in two days to please call his office. So, I leave the office without antibiotics and await a call. Two days later, I call! Two messages later I get a call back that the culture isn't back yet. Life goes on and I forget...I remember on Thursday of the next week, so I call and leave a message. Friday, I call and leave a message! Monday...I'm very annoyed! I beg the receptionist to help me find out the results. It's been almost 2 weeks and still no answer. She apologizes and leaves an email for Dr. Tran's nurse (apparantly she checks the email faster). Still no return call. I call again on Tuesday, TWO WEEKS LATER!!!! I get the same receptionist and she promises me she will get "Jennifer" on the phone. She does and I am told that she tried to call me at my home number twice. WHAT!? I haven't had that number in three years! Every time I have been in the office I have been given a sheet to look over and every time everything has been correct. Besides that the 10 times I have left messages I would tell her my correct phone number to call me back. The one time she returned my call it was on my cell. I told her that there is no excuse! She then proceeds to tell me that the culture did grow THREE organisms but she couldn't tell me if indeed I had an infection or not. Whatever antibiotic Dr. Tran gave me on 9/16 probably had taken care of it! WHAT!?! At this time, I am about to lose my short temper! I inform her I was not given any medicine and the symptoms were now worse. All she could tell me is that I would have to come back in and give them another urine sample so they could run another culture! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I simply tell her no thank you and hang up! I am not about to wait another two weeks!

I then make an appointment with my primary care physician for the next morning. He listens and tells me if there is still white cells in my urine I probably still have the infection and will prescribe me an antibiotic. He will then run a culture and if I need a different antibiotic, he will call me one in! I did still have white cells in my urine and am currently on CIPRO.

So all this venting to say...don't go to that office! Please also pray this infection finally goes away. It hasn't gotten better yet and I been on the Rx a few days so we'll see!

3 comments:

Sandra Bennage said...

You should write their business office or find out who is in charge. Someone needs to know that things are falling through the cracks and people are not getting adequately treated. So sorry...those are the worst infections. :(

Angela Keith said...

I hope you get better soon. Sounds like something that would happen to me. Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry that happened. I'm glad you're feeling better.